Tuesday, January 24, 2006

40 gigs of goodness

Well, I finally broke down and bought an mp3 player. After seeing how handy Aaron's was on the float trip I decided to get one with a FM transmitter. I ended up getting a Toshiba model. It's pretty cool, small and light with a full color screen. The touch sensitive buttons are a little touchy though. It's taken 3 full days, but I will have my entire music collection on it by tonight. Mostly it took so long because I only have usb 1.0. The first day was tricky getting it to do what I wanted. Windows media player sucks balls for transfering. I have all these nice folders organized by artist and album. When I loaded them up into media player, it would make its own folders based on data on the tracks. So, instead of having a nice organized folder system, the damn thing would break it down based on spelling. So, instead of having one Frank Black folder, I would have 3 or 4 based on spelling and capitalization. Some of the folders would only have one or two tracks. I messed around with that for awhile trying to get it to do what I wanted...but it was useless. I ended up using the proprietary transfer software and it is much better. It keeps my music organized the way that I want it. I can't wait to try it out tonight. I put everything on there....even Dead can Dance just in case Cassie is around sometime and needs a fix. That's all for now....back to work.

4 Comments:

At January 24, 2006 5:13 PM, Blogger Spoony Quine said...

` You people and your mp3 players. ARRRRGH! I can't even afford internet service! *whimper!*

 
At January 24, 2006 7:16 PM, Blogger Aaron said...

Internet service is much more expensive than an mp3 player Spoony. They're just one of the gadgets and I, and Jason, will always want and use.

USB 1.0 sucks ass. I have 2.0 and it took me about 45 minutes to transfer 13 gigs of music.

The problem with the mp3 players sorting is that it does it by the ID tag that's associated with the file. I have been going through my files to normalize the ID tags. It's best to do it in winamp, but I'm looking for another third party software that does wholesale augmentation of mp3 ID tags. I'll let you know.

 
At January 25, 2006 11:15 AM, Blogger locomocos said...

my ipod is like that, too - with the multiple folders due to spelling and capitolization. The bad part about downloading all the mp3s a-ron made for me, is that some of them aren't labeled. i have an assload of 'track 01-12' which i don't know either the title of the song, or even the artist. it kinda blows.

but i will love to do some dead can dance next time we're hangin' out at the karaoke bar!
heh heh heh -
but only if i get to drink as much as i did last time.....
Can you imagine a SOBER person trying to sing that stuff??
haha!!!

 
At January 25, 2006 4:44 PM, Blogger jason said...

All done.....all 7000 files transfered and accounted for....minus a few casualties along the way. I used the software that came with the device and it allowed for my folders to remain just as they are in explorer. The radio transmitter works pretty good too.....just not so great in the car.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home