Monday, April 10, 2006

Ask a stupid question....

Okay, the is a stupid question. We all remember being told that mammals and birds are warm blooded and that amphibians, fish, and bugs are cold blooded. My question is....why are they cold blooded. I figure that most animals' cellular structure is similar to each other, especially animals with a circulatory and nervous system. Humans produce heat by our chemical reactions in our cells....don't fish do that as well? If not, what about this. When we are cold, we shiver. The rapid contractions of our muscles produce heat to warm us up. Also, any movement produces heat in our bodies (exercise, walking, even getting up out of chair). Since cold blooded animals for the most part have skeletons and muscles similar to ours, wouldn't they produce heat as well? So, my only other thought is that both phylums can create heat, but perhaps we are labeled warm blooded due to our ability to retain heat. Anyway, does anybody actually remember learning not just the "what" but the "why"?

11 Comments:

At April 11, 2006 10:20 AM, Blogger heather said...

I started doing the research on this, you brought up a pretty good point, but it got more invovled than I wanted to engulf myself in. So what brought up this question in the first place?

 
At April 11, 2006 11:43 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Too many video games. He's losing his tenuous grip on reality.

~Jade

 
At April 12, 2006 12:25 PM, Blogger Aaron said...

Sometimes I get cold blooded when I drink too much cold beer. I get to where I feel comfortable standing naked outside at any temperature.

 
At April 17, 2006 11:56 AM, Blogger Spoony Quine said...

` Off the top of my head, I know that reptiles eat food for nutritional purposes only. Their only source of energy is the sun.
` Our cells, on the other hand, are capable of buring fuel to produce energy as heat. That's why we need to eat ten times more.
` Exactly what the cellular reactions are that are different, I have forgotten.

 
At April 18, 2006 9:20 AM, Blogger Aaron said...

Good Job Spoony! I knew you'd be able to lead us all out of the dark on this one.

 
At April 18, 2006 7:28 PM, Blogger jason said...

Aaron, It says your blog can't be found on this server. What the dilly yo?

 
At April 19, 2006 10:37 AM, Blogger Aaron said...

The triumphant return of AaronKCMO is at hand. An explainatory post is upcoming.

 
At April 20, 2006 1:01 PM, Blogger locomocos said...

good one, laura! i agree! i've always hated that about school! The 'whys' with the 'whats' should go hand in hand, but i think it they get separated because most teachers don't know the answers unless it's found in their lesson planner!

 
At April 20, 2006 1:32 PM, Blogger Spoony Quine said...

` You know, that's a good point, and it makes me glad that I didn't have to endure school myself.

 
At April 20, 2006 4:27 PM, Blogger jason said...

Were you home schooled or did you drop out? Thanks for the info. It's something I would like to dig into deeper but right now I have bigger fish to fry. Like how to exist without losing my mind to my work.

 
At May 05, 2006 12:56 PM, Blogger Spoony Quine said...

` I was supposed to have been home-schooled, but it all amounted to me being locked up while my parents weren't at home. So I guess what happened is that I dropped out under the guise of home-schooling.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home