Monday, June 26, 2006

Hank Williams 3 and the Damn Band + Assjack=awesome

Hello everybody,

I had a nice 3 day weekend. On Friday I finished painting our dining room. I think it turned out pretty good. I'll post pictures shortly. I'm now on to the living room and hallways. I figure the entire inside of the house will be repainted in a month or two. On Saturday, I had a couple of friends come down from KC to See Hank 3 and Assjack. I cooked kabobs and we hung out on the deck until it was time for the show. We stopped by the most kick ass dive in town, the Eastside Tavern. I've mentioned it before...it's the horror/sci-fi bar. I had to show some other people what I consider to be the best bar in town for atmosphere. I can't help but to feel deliciously evil when I'm there. We had a quick beer there and then headed over to the Blue Note. The place was packed, so we got kinda crappy spots to stand. We got there at 8:30 and Hank went on not too long after that. I guess we missed the opening band. Hank started off with the country set and it absolutely rocked. He played a lot of classic country, some rockabilly, and a couple of covers (Hank JR., Cash, and Coe). Most of the stuff was upbeat and really tight, with lots of fiddle and slide guitar solo's. Hank was really good at interacting with the audience as well. As for the second set, well that was another story altogether. For those of you who don't know, Assjack is Hank's speed metal band. It was crazy. Plum crazy. Basically they played super fast metal and screamed alot. It kinda sucked. I was hoping to hear some songs I knew, but I only heard one song I could recognize. He had this crazy backup singer that would jump around all over stage. When somebody hit Hank between the eyes with a coke can, the other singer picked it up and proceeded to smash it into his forehead and cheek. He ended up getting cuts all over one side of his face. 10 minutes later, half his face was covered in blood. It was very surreal. I kept thinking "thank god I'm not close enough to get that guy's blood and god knows what else on me". There was lots of moshing and apparently some trend I didn't know about.....people fling water on each other. Didn't know that was the thing to do at a punk show. Everyone got a little wet, and a lot pissed off. We retired to my house for some Yahtzee and a late night XBox session. Overall, a pretty good show. I just wish I would've heard more metal songs I know. Also, I'm stoked for a couple of shows we are going to see. In early August we are going to see "the Nuge" at the Blue Note, and then in late August we are going to see Sonic Youth with THE FLAMING LIPS!!!! I can't wait for that show...I love the Flaming Lips. I've seen Sonic Youth and they put on a good show as well. Anyway, time to do some finishing touches to the dining room so I can post some pictures. Laters.

5 Comments:

At June 27, 2006 6:44 AM, Blogger heather said...

Is Eastside Tavern that place we went to see Witch's Hat? Where they have PBR on tap?!?

 
At June 27, 2006 7:54 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That was Mojo's, and it's a good dive, too.

Don't forget we're also seeing Built to Spill in September!! Ticketmaster owns us.

~Jade

 
At June 27, 2006 8:50 AM, Blogger Blackpetunia said...

I hope to see the Lips and Sonic (not so)Youth(ful), I think they probably only go to Columbia. It should be a good show.

 
At June 27, 2006 9:16 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is in St. Louis at the Pagent, actually! They're doing quite a few dates together.

~Jade

 
At June 27, 2006 10:15 AM, Blogger locomocos said...

DANG!!! i wish i could see the flaming lips!!

So the water trend? maybe we should approach some young punk kids, offer to buy them some Mickey's and ask them to demonstrate the new 'water-mosh' phenomenon! haha!

i'm getting SO old!!!
;D

 

Post a Comment

<< Home