Monday, August 28, 2006

Best concert ever

Wow.
That's all I can really say....wow. Jade and I went to St. Louis for the weekend to see Sonic Youth and The Flaming Lips at the Pageant. After getting lost in East St. Louis and fearing for our lives a little bit, we finally made it to our hotel in Forest Park. We spent the afternoon at the science museum. It was pretty cool. They had a large hands on area that reminded me of the Exploritorium in San Fransisco. Most of it was geared towards kids, but hey, I just a kid in a grown-up's body. So, I had a blast playing with all the displays. I could have spent a couple of hours more there, but it was crowded with kids. The rest of the museum was rather standard. It had the typical dinosaur exhibit and geological content....most of which isn't hands on. They had a small section about architectual engineering...which was interesting. Later that night, we had Japanese food for dinner and martinis at a cool bowling alley called Pin-Up Bowling. It was a martini bar with 8 lanes of bowling. They had Vargas pin-up girls all over the walls. Aaron would have loved it. The best thing was....no kids or teens. I had an idea for an over 21 bowling alley awhile back. It was kinda bittersweet to see it had already been done. There's nothing new under the sun. Anyway, we get to the venue and it's really nice. Twice as big as the Blue Note and much cleaner. We had the most amazing spot to stand that I've ever had at a show. we were about 20-30 feet from the stage, where the floor is raised a tier. We were at the front of the teir, so we had a clear view of the entire stage, with no heads to block our view. We held our spot with zealous determination against the mob of drunk and high people trying to push their way forward. The opening band was okay, I think they were called The Magic Numbers. Sonic Youth went on second. They were fantastic. We'd seen them before in Columbia, but this was an even more intense show. For 40 somethings, they rock HARD.

Now, on to The Flaming Lips.
I'm going to try to describe this as accurately as possible, to try to express the shear "eventfullness" of their show.

The band comes on stage. The bass player is dressed as a skeleton, the guitarist/keyboardist is dressed as a space commander, and the lead singer is in a suit. They start their first number off with a bang...literally. 2 monstrous confetti machines start spewing mass amounts of confetti in a massive explosion out over the audience, all the way up into the balcony. On the right side of the stage appear a dozen people all dressed as Santa Claus, waving handheld spotlights. Captain America was also on the right. On the left side, a dozen women dressed as sexy mini-skirt wearing aliens appear. They wore green alien masks with big eyes. They too wielded spotlights. Superman was on this side. The lead singer has this tube gun that shoots multicolored streamers all the way too the ceiling. He would use this throughout the act. All over a sudden, about 30 (at least) 2 1/2 foot diameter balloons were released on the crowd. These were batted around by the audience and the band. I have no idea how a band could play through all that chaos, but they did. Oh yeah, they had a 40 foot video screen behind the band that showed video clips and a fish-eye lens view of the singer. As they went into their second number, Captain America and Superman picked up the balloons as they landed on stage and removed them. Confetti and streamers would appear throughout the show. The go-go aliens and Santas would remain on stage for the entire show. Eventually, two giant balloons got passed around (they were about 6-10 foot in diameter). Every song they played was one I wanted to hear (with the exception of She don't use jelly). I didn't get to hear two songs from Yoshimi, but that's okay because every other song I couldn't have done without either. Speaking of Yoshimi....the singer used a puppet of a nun to sing that song. Oh yeah, he also came out with two gigantic synthetic hands on and would clap to the rythm (they were about 4-6 feet across and looked very realistic). He also blew up one more balloon on stage that was about 15 feet in diameter, and was filled with money. He blew it up till it popped and money rained down on the audience (that part made me wish I was closer to the stage). All the songs sounded great. The singer was awesome with the audience. There was a lot of dialogue with us. One of the Santa's was celebrating her 16th birthday, and he had the band and audience sing happy birthday to her. Talk about something you would never forget. That seemed to be the overall theme for the night, having a fun and unforgettable experience.

I've been to somewhere between 30-40 concerts in my life and this one was the absolute best ever by leaps and bounds. I highly recommend seeing The Flaming Lips if you get the chance. It's worth it even if you have to travel to see them. This show made me want to compile a list of the best shows I've seen. Five is too low a number, so I'll go with 7. The order is based on techincal ability, atmosphere, and stage presence.

7. Violent Femmes
6. Stone Temple Pilots
5. Incubus
4. Jane's addiction
3. Jethro Tull
2. Tool
1. The Flaming Lips

12 Comments:

At August 29, 2006 6:12 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's a tough one, because I have liked both small and large shows for different reasons. So maybe I need two top fives for each?

Large scale concerts:
1. Pearl Jam, St. Louis former Riverport ampitheater
2. Radiohead, same venue
3. Tori Amos, Tinley Park, IL
4. NIN, Little Rock
5 Alice in Chains, Little Rock (first rock concert EVER, opened for Ozzy!)

Smallish shows:

1. Flaming Lips/SY, Pagent, St. Louis
2. Beck, Memorial Hall, KC
3. Tossers, New Year's eve in a bowling alley in Chicago
3. Clem Snide, Mojo's, Columbia
4. Bourbon Knights, every St. Pat's at the Hangar in Carbondale, IL

I am sure Built to Spill will make this list after I see them in a few weeks!!

~Jade

 
At August 29, 2006 8:49 AM, Blogger Blackpetunia said...

I work at the Science Center here, I had no idea you guys were coming in for that, and totally forgot the show was last weekend. I'm glad someone went, I really wanted to. I agree, there are WAY too many kids at my work, luckily I work behind the scenes.
Did you really think it had a fair representation of modern science? I'm curious.

 
At August 29, 2006 10:45 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cool! I didn't know that. Yeah, great show, but it sold out and people were paying hundreds on the internet and standing outside for tickets. I'm so glad we went.

~Jade

 
At August 29, 2006 5:42 PM, Blogger jason said...

I spent the most time in the hands-on area, which seemed to be mostly about the workings of the human body. The rest of the stuff was geological information that you could find in most any museum in the last 30 years. I would have liked to seen an exhibit about cutting edge technology and the future of different sciences.

 
At August 30, 2006 4:53 AM, Blogger Blackpetunia said...

I feel the same way. A lot of our exhibits are outdated, in my opinion, and we could have better stuff, but in St. Louis since all the museums are free, it's hard to get funding, apparently. We definitely need more about genetic stuff. Did you walk across the bridge to the planetarium too?

 
At August 30, 2006 6:03 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

No, we kinda ran out of time and had to go eat dinner before the show. I had reached my tolerance level of annoying children, too.

Jade

 
At August 31, 2006 8:30 AM, Blogger locomocos said...

wow! that sounds awesome!
i'm so jealous!

I LOVE shows where the band is really interactive with the audience! I HATE it when they just play songs, wait for you to clap, and then leave.
That's why i think the WORST show i've been to was The Pixies reunion tour. It was CRAP. They didn't talk or DO anything! I could've repurchased ALL their albums on CD for the price of that ticket, AND sad at home drinking a smoking in my livingroom in my underwear.

Amber - did you take me to that bowling alley? i seem to remember martini's, vargas, and bowling.

best shows (large and small):
5. Weird Al
4. NIN (i've seen them at large and small venues, and they were BOTH good!)
3. Beck - at The Rhumba Box in KC circa 1994 - SOOPER small!
2. Depeche Mode
1. The Greatest Rock and Roll Band in the World - The Supersuckers - I've seen them 80 times plus, and they keep getting better.

 
At August 31, 2006 4:25 PM, Blogger jason said...

Yeah, the Pixies reunion show was very disappointing in all aspects. I would love to see Beck. I think he's number one on my list of live acts to see. That and the Scissor Sisters. They put on a pretty mean show from what I've seen of their concert footage.

 
At September 01, 2006 8:34 AM, Blogger Blackpetunia said...

We did go to that bowling alley, when you and Kurt were out here. We drank, that was all. No games. I've never been back. At the time I think we ended up with a lot of free drinks because the workers were retarded, and there were children running around. That bothered me at the time, as well. They had just opened though. The fact they're still around tells me that maybe they got their act together.

 
At September 01, 2006 9:04 AM, Blogger Spoony Quine said...

` WOW!! I had no idea concerts could be so weird! ...Oo! I will have to see Weird Al if he comes to the Puyallup Fiar again!!

 
At September 03, 2006 11:12 AM, Blogger Aaron said...

6. Robert Earl Keen
5. Willie Nelson/Charlie Daniels
4. Toby Keith
3. Primus
2. Alison Krauss
1. Badfish

 
At September 08, 2006 11:11 AM, Blogger Aaron said...

Now that I think about it I would have to move Alison Krauss to number 4 and move Toby Keith and Primus up one.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home