Friday, July 28, 2006

Product Warning

Yeah, I know...this is usually Cassie's territory, but I felt I had to tell the story of a product that, while may not be crappy, is definitely not worth the money. The product in question in Kirby vacumn cleaners. Our friend Mindy started a job selling them and is in training. The job is atrocious, as you are to first pimp the product to your friends and family, and then eventually go door to door. I didn't even know people still did door to door sales. So, she wanted to come by and do a demonstration. We said okay of course. I was actually looking to get a new vacumn cleaner as ours has a tiny bag that fills up after just a couple of rooms. She comes over and tells us a little bit about the product. It's an industrial strength vacumn that is supposed to be twice as strong as one you can buy in stores. It looked like an old fashioned vacumn....made of steel. It was pretty complicated to put together and to change attachments. She showed us the specialty filters that are made of surgical grade cloth so particles don't get past it. She vacumned part of the floor and it was obvious that the filter and the vacumn did a good job. The crazy part was that she was supposed to vacumn so much of our house that she used 100 filters. That would take at least 2 hours. I wasn't going to have her vacumn the whole place and take that much time, since she was a friend. If it wasn't someone I knew, I might have them vacumn the whole place. So, I had her cut to the chase. I asked to feel the amount of vacumn that the upholstery attachment pulled. It didn't feel any stronger than my regular vacumn. It also didn't do a good job of cleaning the stairs until she used an attachment that wasn't designed for that purpose (strike 1). We also asked where we could get replacement bags since they were an unusual shape and material. She had to call her boss and ask him. Turns out you can only get the bags online or in their store (strike 2). So, I finally asked her how much they cost. She pulled out a pre-printed "estimate" that would tell you the cost with the trade-in of your old vacumn. After trade-in it was 1700$ (obviously, strike three)! I felt bad, but I literally had to laugh at that. What nut-job would pay 1700 for a vacumn cleaner....besides the seriously obssesive compulsive. She again called her boss...which was awkward for us. He said he could drop that down to 1200. Again, peels of laughter. I told her, "no disrespect, but I was thinking it would be about 500 bucks, no way would I pay that much for a tool that I hate to use anyway." To top it off, Mindy said that everytime she called her boss, he would literally scream at her to make that sale, and that he could pay monkeys with bannanas to do this job. That alone was why I decided to write this post. I don't think anyone should give money to a company that treats its employees that poorly. Other than that, the vacumn was okay....but not worth the price.

9 Comments:

At July 31, 2006 6:29 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ditto on Cutco Knives. It's all a scam to take advantage of both poor desparate college students and sad housewives. Much like the pyramid schemes, no one profits except the top.

~Jade

 
At July 31, 2006 8:39 AM, Blogger Blackpetunia said...

My mom's family were devotees of the Kirby for many years. I remember my dad fighting with my mom after she signed her life away on one. He didn't buy a new vacuum for her the whole time I was growing up either.

 
At July 31, 2006 3:10 PM, Blogger locomocos said...

my mom had a Kirby, too. She got it for her wedding in 1974 - and i believe it finally died in 1995 - in which ever since my mom has gotten new vacuums ever few years.

I bet the company has just changed. people always thought Kirby's were #1, but now with all the other products out there, and the type of 'disposable society' we live in (meaning we don't buy things that MUST last for the rest of our lives) they've obviously gone down hill.

So i knew a guy in college who did the knives thing. Why do people still fall for this job? And Jason's right! i didn't even KNOW people still sold things door to door!

 
At July 31, 2006 6:39 PM, Blogger Aaron said...

My grandma had a kirby.

How's your computer doing?

 
At August 01, 2006 3:57 PM, Blogger jason said...

good so far, no ads. Thank you post to come shortly. How do I change my moxilla homepage back to google?

 
At August 02, 2006 6:02 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

If you go to the Google main page, there's a link that says "Make Google my home page."

~Jade

 
At August 02, 2006 7:03 AM, Blogger Aaron said...

You can make any page your home page by dragging the icon from the address bar and dropping it on the house icon. It will ask you if you'd like to make 'this site' your home page.

 
At August 10, 2006 12:00 PM, Blogger Spoony Quine said...

` Ha ha haaaa! Poor her! Oh well....

` And for the record, it's spelled 'vacuum', not 'vacumn', unless you think that vacuum cleaners are damned or something.

` Oh, I didn't know that was how you made things your homepage! Wow! (Never was much of a concern for me....)

 
At August 10, 2006 3:38 PM, Blogger jason said...

I prefer the proper British spelling of words like theatre instead of theater....yeah.....that's the ticket.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home