Wednesday, September 13, 2006

The orb doth rise like a golden phoenix


Behold, your downfall!!!!!

This is my new orb, forged in the fire of hades and cooled to a perfectly round shape in the river Styx.

ok, maybe not, but it was a modestly priced ball that I liked the look of. It was more difficult picking out this ball than I thought it would be. For one, I have no idea what the numerical values mean when they speak of hook potential, back end, etc. I basically tried to find a ball that had a moderate hook potential and that was suited to medium dry to medium oily lanes. I figured that way it would kind of be an all situations ball. Right now I'm a moderate bowler at best. I had it drilled for throwing a straight ball, but I figure I can use it for the hook as well. Although, the guys at the bowling alley sounded like they would drill it differently for a hook ball. I don't understand what they would do differently, maybe placement of the holes so as not to mess with "the core". Anyway, the guy also said that by drilling it this way, it would hook more....which doesn't make any sense to me at all. I was also surpised at how many measurements they took to use in the drilling process. I figured it would be just small, med, or large based on the sample ball they have on the counter. Apparently not. The guy put several marks on my hand and used a couple of different devices for measurements. He also slid cylinders on my fingers to check the diameter size. I went with ones a little large so my fingers wouldn't stick. It's kinda like an eye test when they ask what is better, 1 or 2. Hopefully I didn't mess it up too bad, but I know what I like in a hole ;) I declined to have the plugs put in the holes, mostly because I'm a girly man that doesn't have the finger strength to grip with just my fingertips. They said it will be ready tomorrow, and league is Friday, so I will post the results this weekend. Hopefully it improves my game, god knows it couldn't possibly get worse.
As to you Aaron.....prepare you're ice ball to get melted!

3 Comments:

At September 14, 2006 2:20 PM, Blogger Aaron said...

I will bring an Ice Storm down on you that will be unrivaled - even by the worst Antarctic winter. After your ball flames out I will bury your balls ashes several miles deep in the glacier I create from frozen, busted-up pins. Centuries from now, when your ball is excavated by aliens, they will know that I was there and that another ball had fallen victim to the Ice Storm.

At the first sight of my ball, your balls core will freeze and probably crack the cover.... so, I hope your ball has a warranty.

I have my ball drilled straight on because I use it for both hands. The straight on drill gives me just as much ability to curve it from either direction.

For you I would've recommended drilling it straight for your straight throw. I, however, would've suggested that you get plugs put in. It's not as hard as you might think to grip the ball with just the tips of your fingers - you're supposed to be able to get your finger in to the first knuckle. It's going to be really hard to curve it with your fingers in any farther.

The core of the ball is not in the middle, it's more toward the outside and opposite where the holes are drilled. Drilling holes off center provides a different weight distribution in your throw.

What is the weight of your ball? What's the cover made of? What brand is it?

 
At September 14, 2006 3:16 PM, Blogger Spoony Quine said...

` Oooh pretty shiny ball!

 
At September 14, 2006 4:59 PM, Blogger jason said...

My ball's core rages with the heat of a thousand suns. It can never be extinguished. I've used a ball with finger grips....Dan's old brown ball. I found it really hard to hold, and dropped it frequently. It was a pound more though. Mine's 14 pounds. When I "attempt" a hook, I don't even put my fingers in...I just cup the ball. Last week I did try bowling a house ball with a hook. I actually put my fingers in and it seemed to work okay without the plugs. I bowled a strike on my first throw that way. I'm basically going to experiment with what works. If I need plugs, I can always get them later. Also, I like to throw the straight ball on most of my pick-ups. As for my ball's information....you can go to bowling.com and click Brunswick. It's the rampage. Or, you could just ask my taint. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home